Navigation Bar

Monday, June 16, 2014

Let's Get Simple

My friend Megan is the queen of discovering new trends and pulls them off quite well. Megs is one of my favorite people to spend time with - refreshing, easy and just simple. She recently discovered and showed me a blog with a concept called "The Capsule Wardrobe".
The basic definition of this idea is "a set of clothing, normally within 20-40 items, which can be mixed and matched to create a wide variety of outfits that can be considered essential." 
This idea seemed to fit into the theme of my season - simple, slow, basic. I started looking through my closet and realized I could benefit from some simplifying. After transitioning to a new full time job in a new city, the rhythm of my life is different, which means my wardrobe needs have shifted. And honestly, so have my preferences.

So here's to simplifying. Here's to re-defining needs and styles and preferences. Here's to consolidating and learn to mix and match, letting my creative side invent new varieties and combinations. And here's to celebrating the simple, which happens to be alongside one of my favorite friends.

The goal: slim down our closets to 37 ish staple items (including shoes, but discluding accessories).

The inspiration: Caroline from Un-Fancy & this Capsule Wardrobe guide.

The process:

  1. Identify my lifestyle - What percentage of my time is spent doing what? How do I spend my time? What do I need in order to spend my time accordingly? 
  2. Select my colors - What are my major, minor and accent colors? 
  3. Choose my go-to pieces and then my go-to outfits - What pieces in my closet can I use? What items go together? 
  4. Create a shopping list AND a budget
  5. Finalize my Capsule Wardrobe

I hope this inspires you to simplify life and to take time to define your style, your personal mission and why you do what you do. I'm excited to give it a go and hope to post about the final result!

No comments:

Post a Comment