Navigation Bar

Friday, June 8, 2012

Foreign Ambassadors

Over the last two weeks I've been resonating with the idea of being a foreigner and ambassador. When most people think of basic Kingdom identity, the words alien and ambassador do not often come to mind. However both of these words are biblical truths we must learn to adopt as sons or daughters of God. 

Last week I ended staff training at KAA. While I was there the Lord initiated a new process in my heart encompassing these truths. When I first arrived I was honestly a little anxious. There was part of me that felt so exhausted after being in a new place this semester (at KU) and having to build new friendships & relationships. I wasn't looking forward to having to build in a new place again. As I was spending time with God one morning I was reminded of different men & women in scripture who were called to 'foreign' places. For example, Abraham was called to leave his home and travel to a new land. Hebrews 11:8-9 says "by faith Abraham obeyed when he was called out to go to a place that he was to receive an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. By faith, he went to live in the land of promise, as in a foreign land..." Abraham blindly followed the voice of God and became a foreigner in a new land. 

Later in Hebrews 11 it says they (those who received the promise) "acknowledged that they were strangers & exiles on the earth" and knew they were "seeking a homeland" because they longed for "a better country, that is, a heavenly one". It struck me that the reason why they were called exiles or foreigners on earth was because they believed they were citizens of a different country: Heaven. And if I was made by God, then my home is with Him, not on earth. Philippians 3:20 says that we are citizens of Heaven. I'm not a citizen of Wichita, of Lawrence or of Waco, Texas. Those places are not my home. The people in those places are not my home. In the presence of God is my home. I have to detach my idea of home from a physical place or person, otherwise my safety, comfort and identity is found in places other than Jesus. 

We are called to total immersion with distinction. I am a resident of the world, but not a native of it. I am a stranger or foreigner who belongs to something so much bigger than this earth. However, I am not a foreigner without a purpose. I'm also an ambassador. 2 Corinthians 5:20 says "we are ambassadors for Christ". An ambassador was never a native or member of the land in which he dwelt. He was a visitor who represented the King of leader of his native land. This means I have a unique purpose and assignment. I have the privilege of representing my King. So wherever He says to go, I will gladly go, knowing I get to help make my King's name known. Even if I'm called to new places all over again, it's worth it. Because this isn't my home; Heaven is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment