Navigation Bar

Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Reasons Behind the Risk

For some of you this may be repetitive, but for others it may be new. Several people have asked me about my move to Lawrence this year and thought I'd take some time to explain it. (Although this isn't the whole story, it will hopefully give you an idea of why I'm here). Let me preface this post by saying this semester has been one of the most unexpected, adventurous, fun, fast-paced & deep seasons. I honestly don't want to be anywhere else but right in the middle of the will of God. And there's something so sweet, peaceful & intimate about knowing you are in that place.

Last September I visited Lawrence to stay with my friend, Missy Patterson. Friendship with Missy has been such a joy over the past 3 years. It was sort of unexpected and definitely surprising, but so sweet and so good. We met at church camp and the Lord gave us grace to go deep in friendship rather quickly. I was so excited to visit Missy for a second time. She told me about new ways God was moving in Lawrence and I was honored to get to see a glimpse of it. I left feeling encouraged and excited. I had no idea I would be calling Lawrence my home in just a few short months.

In October my parents and I started talking about the possibility of transferring schools. This had never occurred to me and the thought was sad and even scary. I absolutely loved being at Baylor. [My life has been radically changed by the community & kingdom culture I was brought into. What a sweet 2 and a half years I got to spend in Waco.] Although I cried at the thought of leaving, I started asking the Lord if he wanted me to transfer. I sent in my application to KU and received my acceptance letter a few weeks later.

Upon receiving that letter, Jesus reminded me several things. He called me to pray for the city of Lawrence my freshmen year of college. Those prayers were invested and not forgotten. And now I was invited to join the move of God happening in the place my heart had prayed for. What a joy and honor! Jesus is so faithful to the dreams he places in our hearts, even if we don't remember them or know what they are for.

I started the process of moving and realized something new about myself. I am a pre-mourner. In anticipation of a new change or event I typically mourn before the change happens. This allowed me to move from sadness to excitement in perfect timing. I started asking God what promises He had for me in Lawrence and for specific things to be praying for. I was blown away by the words of life & encouragement the He gave me.

Thus I decided to transfer. I wasn't obligated or forced. But invited. The Creator asked me to risk with Him and promised to take care of my every step. I had no idea what to expect, but Jesus went before me. All my credits from Baylor transferred and I found a place to live with the sweetest roommates. Everything fell into place so smoothly and I was amazed at how Jesus provides for me so well. He truly does work every detail for our good.

Now that I have been here for a semester, I can confidently say this has been the most intimate season with Jesus I've ever had. He brought me to a place where I had to depend on Him. And it has been so worth it. I am truly thriving in this place and meeting Jesus in ways I never have before.

John 15:15-16 says "No longer I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you."

This truth has deeply changed & encouraged me. I have learned more of what friendship with Jesus looks like. He chooses to use me and invites me to use the gifts He's given me to further His kingdom. He has made known to me His vision and promises for this place and I love partnering with Him. What an honor to be on this adventure with my King.

No comments:

Post a Comment