Navigation Bar

Monday, May 21, 2012

The Reality of Slavery

This morning as I was laying out by the pool spending time with Jesus, I was surprised by this verse. Exodus 6:9 says "Moses spoke to the people of Israel, but they did not listen because of their broken spirit and harsh slavery." I thought how many times have I not listened because of a broken spirit and slave mentality? And it made me think of all the people that I've prayed and believed for that haven't changed or listened because of a broken spirit and slave mentality. This verse changed the way I pray for people in one moment. Rather than praying for specific behavior changes, I should be praying for their broken spirit to be restored and for a transfer from a slave mentality to son or daughter identity. This has to happen before we can listen to God and obey what He says. So much of our walk with God starts with believing the truth. 

I thought back to my own story before I started following Jesus. My freshmen and sophomore year of high school I lived under a broken spirit and slave mentality. Because I did not know how to receive love from the Father, nor did I know who Jesus said I was, I was broken. I tried to find my identity and self-worth in what others thought of me. This led to many bad decisions and compromises. I felt as though I were under the expectations and opinions of others. I attempted to conform my words, clothing choices, musical preferences and behavior to what I believed others would accept. I lived as if I were a slave to sin, rather than a slave of righteousness. But it was all false. I wasn't under other's expectations. Only under His truth. I just didn't believe it yet. 

Romans 6:16-18, 22 says "Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness? But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness. But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life."

When I gave my life to Jesus and committed to following Him the summer of 2007, I became a slave to righteousness, rather than sin. I am so thankful that Jesus rescued me from a broken sinful place and set me free! Now I get to take part in the process of sanctification and can look forward to spending eternity with my Rescuer and Father. Choosing Jesus was the best decision I've ever made. And although believing the truth has been a process, it has slowly changed me. It started with reading His Word and memorizing it, so that I wouldn't forget the truth. I hope this challenges you to either start believing the truth or to pray for someone who needs to. Let us become slaves of righteousness, who live in the reality of our son or daughter identity rather than the harsh & false reality of slavery. You were made for more than that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment