Navigation Bar

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Thoughts on Gifts & Humility

James 1:17 says every good & perfect gift comes from above. Did you catch that? EVERY good gift comes from above. That means that everything good that we have or are comes from Jesus. So, the pretty sunlight coming in through my windows this morning was from Jesus. And so was the pink nail polish I found in my backpack. Even my ability to speak and listen is from Jesus. This changes things. When I truly believe that every good gift is from God then it changes the way I live my life. It creates thankfulness and dependency. Because without Jesus I am nothing.

I was recently encouraged by a conversation with Julie Steadman. I've had the privilege and honor of meeting with her this semester for discipleship. Ahhh what a delight! I've learned so much from this woman. This past Monday we talked about humility and recognizing that Jesus gives all things. Humility is not thinking less of ourselves, but more of God. It's recognizing that it's God that makes things happen; not me plus God. And it's realizing that everything good that we have comes straight from Him.

I've been reading Exodus in my time with God over the past week and was struck by these verses:"The Lord said to him, “Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who gives them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, the Lord?" (chapter 4 verses 11-12). Even our simple abilities to see, speak and hear are from God. So I can take credit for nothing. But rather than dwelling on my brokenness and insufficiency, instead this should point me to Jesus in thankfulness. Humility isn't making the most of our brokenness, but making the most of his capability. Wow, thank you God for giving me the ability to speak and for the spiritual & earthly gifts You have given me! He is truly good.

No comments:

Post a Comment